Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Living Faith

Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity,
overlooking the sin of the few
remaining for his inheritance?
He doesn't hold on to his anger forever;
he delights in faithful love.

                                                                                                  Micah 7:18                   
I'm sorry!

I've said it a hundred times or more - to my wife - to our children - to friends and people I've worked with.

                                                                                          I'm sorry!

But did I really mean it? Or was it just so much lip service? Were the words empty or real? Did saying I was sorry make any difference in the life of the one to whom I apologized?

Perhaps the other person said, "I've heard that before." The expression of penitence had been made so many times before in so many ways it had become like the 'chicken little' story where eventually no one was willing to believe or even care whether you said anything or not. The words had become empty.

And what about God? How many times have we apologized to God for not being the sort of person he would prefer us to be? Have our words to God been shallow and insincere? Have we allowed ourselves to leave God out of our life equation? 

Perhaps this is the day in life for each of us to go into the depths
of our hearts and find a way to say to God, "I could have been better"; "I need to be better"; "I want to be better"; "I will be better in my professions of faith - through Christ."

Eternal Father in Heaven:
Help me be more honest in my confession
of weakness and sin. 
Forgive the emptiness of my words
and put spiritual substance in my soul.
Through Christ I pray:

AMEN



                               

No comments:

Post a Comment